So I’ve continued to have some good luck on disposing of some of my old gaming collection. And some other items I hadn’t yet considered selling but had caught the interest of other collectors. Which is actually really handy as I took the opportunity to acquire some new items in some sales – mainly for current wargaming projects – and so those funds helped me pay for the new stuff.
This ‘recycling’ idea is working then.
The offers I’ve received have made me re-evaluate what I want to keep. There’s a few games that I now believe will not see the tabletop again – unless I suddenly create a brand new regular game group to play them with. Unlikely in a rural village location only used to whist drives and domino evenings. They can therefore go on the disposal list too.
As the emphasis continues to be on wargaming, it sort of makes sense too. I’ve been incredibly fortunate there too. Like the skeletons I picked up a while back, that turned out to be just what someone on the LAF needed. And in that case I ended up with a ‘trade’ for some useful items to serve several purposes. And I also sold on the plastic British Paras I ended up with too, along with some German WW2 I was unlikely to ever finish up.
On the KickStarter front I’ll be ending up with a lot more Ogre Miniatures. I already have some basic sets (No.1) plus some of the Ogre sprues that have a MkIII and a MkV, and there’s some of the last stock of white metal to come too. As I’m actually painting (aye, don’t faint, it’s only been a 4 year break!) I will soon have some more 15mm terrain that will be useful for the Horse & Musket periods (GNW, Marlburian & Napoleonics) and these same resin-cast items might also provide me a Tiffins Games product line too. So at some point I plan to put in a proper order with the intention of painting those up for EBay. So as a follow-up to the terrain painting, at some point I need to prime and paint some of the Ogre plastic minis, just so I can share my efforts, which in turn hopefully encourages me to paint more.
There’s also the 60 militia types and character officers who will serve as great additions to the Balkanesque TMWWBK ready for priming as well, hopefully this week. Then it’s some experimenting with block painting and some highlighting to then finish off with a variation of the ‘dip’ method. My aim will be to do it subtly different. Add black or brown ink to diluted brush-on acrylic varnish and to see what we produce. If it works – I have some slight reservations – then we have a method to churn out much more, and a lot faster.
And the aim for the tabletop out in the DoMA is to set up a handy scene for some repeat practice with the TMWWBK rules in my Gothic-Balkan setting. Again, it’s been really useful to have had a good sort out. Items are now sensibly stored, easier to locate and use. I’m looking forward to that as it pushes me further into other related projects that will also require more figures to be painted and terrain to be produced. It’s motivated me to look at alternate options, like the idea of using magnets for 28mm cavalry. That means I would only need a certain number of mounts, and I can have riders to swap on and off. As the mount – be it horse or gashant – is the most expensive of the pairing, this could certainly work to my advantage. And dinky little 2mm and 3mm magnets are a lot cheaper in the grand cost of things. This could be a handy idea to extend to a few other things as well. And I’m a tad enthused about some MDF kits for aerial steam launches too. More expense, so more recycling I guess.
Finally, the company accounts should be in now. Before deadline too. That’s actually a good result as I’m notorious in doing it all last minute, much to the angst of my accountant no doubt. It’s good to achieve something like that as it proves to myself I’m restoring a little bit of proper ‘time-management’ back into my life, outside of the old working environment. It has also nudged me to look at new approaches for the games company too, such as Amazon Marketplace set-up, and to get some costing work and commissions of new product lines underway. I like the way it’s progressing, at a steady pace, and I’m looking forward to seeing what can be achieved.